Thank you to Caregiver Action Network for providing ‘10 Tips for Caregivers’. As National Caregiver Month continues, CanCare would like to recognize and honor caregivers who devote countless hours to providing care to their loved ones. Please use these tips as a source of help along your caregiver journey.
- Seek support from other caregivers. You are not alone!
- Take care of your own health so that you can be strong enough to take care of your loved one.
- Accept offers of help and suggest specific things people can do to help you.
- Learn how to communicate effectively with doctors.
- Caregiving is hard work so take respite breaks.
- Watch out for signs of depression and don’t delay getting professional help when you need it.
- Be open to new technologies that can help you care for your loved one.
- Organize medical information so it’s up to date and easy to find.
- Make sure legal documents are in order.
- Give yourself credit for doing the best you can in one of the toughest jobs there is!
Find comfort in knowing that you are not alone. Please remember, if you have been diagnosed with cancer or are a caregiver to someone with cancer, and need one-on-one emotional support during or after treatment, we have trained support volunteers who are here for you.
If you or anyone you know needs one-on-one emotional support, please contact us at 713.461.0028.